Thursday 19 February 2009

Going for the big score

What is the most successful movie of the last few years?

What movie has won the most Oscars® recently?

OK, let me ask it this way. What trilogy of movies, mainly filmed in New Zealand, sitting at around a day in length if watched back to back, have been inexplicably popular, despite being painfully dull?


I don't know if it's a specific personality trait, but if anything, not just films, becomes very popular, I tend to automatically dislike it, or at the very least become very wary of it.
Having read, and genuinely enjoyed, the books while younger, my nervousness of being disappointed was off the scale, and sadly, I was correct to be nervous.
I cannot put into words how disappointed I was by these three dull, over-long, non-involving, pretentious poor excuses for films. It really did upset me, and anger me.

So, the review. When I decided to do this, I realised there was no way I could discuss the films, without being biased. There are three of them, they are very long, and I don't like them. Instead, today I am going to give you some links to 'LOTR' reviews by critics who I personally enjoy and respect. In the coming three days, me and another reviewer, Kabuki Elvis, will be discussing each film in depth, and publishing two short reviews, as well as some of our more coherent, intelligent arguments for and against the films.



'LOTR : Fellowship Of The Ring' reviews

Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle


'LOTR : The Two Towers' reviews

Philip French, The Guardian

Dan Jardine, Apollo Movie Guide


'LOTR : Return Of The King' reviews

James Berardinelli, Reelviews

Claudia Puig, USA Today

No comments:

Post a Comment